Monday, May 19, 2008

Gun Control

Liberals believe there needs to be more regulation in gun control. There needs to be laws that make it harder for people to buy guns. We can do this by regulating sales through stronger background checks and improving the safety features on guns (ex. make them childproof). We need to prevent gun violence before it happens. Conservatives believe that people kill people, not guns. They believe that we have the right to the second amendment, so we have the right to bear arms and own firearms. We need to be able to protect ourselves/our families and we cannot always rely and wait on the police.

I believe that we definitely need stricter gun control legislation. I think it's sad how many school shootings there have been where kids have had access to intense firearms that should be used in the military and even just their parents' handguns. I don't think people need these weapons just sitting around their houses. I think the police are armed for a reason, so we don't have to be. I also think that it's really sad how the US' death rate by guns is extremely higher than other countries', like we saw in the Bowling for Columbine clip, and that is linked to our relaxed gun control legislation. I think that if people kill people, why would you give them a gun? I think that we need to prevent gun violence before it happens. I don't think people shouldn't be able to own guns in certain circumstances, it just needs to be regulated more thoroughly. I think there need to be more things like the Brady Act, which has worked to stop about 400,000 people from buying guns that shouldn't be able to because of a mandated background check.

I think our presentation went really well. I think our clips could have been shorter so that our discussion could have been longer, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone talked during class except for maybe 1-2 people who didn't raise their hands.

No comments: