Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Taylor Swift

For my CD project, I researched Taylor Swift. She is a relatively new artist, since 2006, and has only made one CD so far. Most of her songs are about her relationship with her ex-boyfriend. She writes about her anger towards him and how he just walked right out of her life with another girl.
I think that in a way, her lyrics represent one value of our generation. I think we are starting to value short term commitments and promiscuity. I think that celebrities these days send the message to teens that it's okay to be promiscuous. It's not uncommon for people to have short relationships or casual, "no strings attached" relationships. I think Taylor Swift shows through her lyrics that she has anger towards her ex-boyfriend for leaving her for another girl. Taylor Swift's emotions show that these things are wrote and hurtful, but they still happen in today's society. Although she is talking solely about her ex-boyfriend, it is a universal appeal to all girls who have gone through that, and she's showing how girls feel in those situations. She doesn't write about any of our generation's other values, such as beauty or materialism.
I think that through her image, she represents society's "ideal" girl because she is young, pretty, and famous. She also gives off the wholesome girl image through her charity work. She started a foundation to protect kids from online predators. I think she represents our generation's value of giving to charity and safety.

No comments: